Thursday, July 17, 2008

Top Ten Reasons to See "The Dark Knight"



OK, so maybe you don't care about the movie, but it's getting some amazing reviews and I've practically wet myself in excitement. There's even posthumous Oscar-buzz about Heath Ledger's role as the Joker. Here are my top ten reasons to go see our favorite bat in action:

10. Movies presenting moral dilemmas are good.
9. Non-manipulative movies that present unresolved moral dilemmas (thank you Bertolt Brecht) are even better.
8. "The Dark Knight" sounds cooler than Batman _________ (fill in the blank).
7. Morgan Freeman is in it.
6. Katie Holmes isn't in it.
5. It was filmed in Chicago. I've never been there, but the city has always intruiged me.
4. Batman is a (very rich) regular guy without any powers beyond a slightly anti-transcendentalist world-view. His lack of congenital or acquired superpowers is part of what makes him my favorite superhero.
3. Heath Ledger's a good actor, and from the looks and sound of things, pulls off his role in a fashion that makes Jack Nicholson look like a dork.
2. A good Batman movie gives anyone and everyone (including myself) an excuse to finally go and buy that Batman T-shirt you've (I've) always wanted.
1. Christian Bale is hotter than Toby Maguire, Robert Downey Jr., Edward Norton, Hugh Jackman, Ron Perlman, and all incarnations of Superman combined. OK, maybe not Ron Perlman, since I liked Hellboy and I like Guillermo del Toro, but hey, I do love Batman (Oh, I haven't seen Iron Man, either, but I want to).

So, I might just have to go see it here, but I'll only do it if I find it playing in English. I don't want German voice-acting to spoil it for me. If you see it, you're not allowed to tell me anything about it. I'm not usually such a fan of big-studio, Hollywood entertainment, but this one has me absolutely giddy. It's probably a combination of my social isolation and separation anxiety. I miss you BreAnne, Mikah, and Asher!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should wait and we will see the movie together. We haven"t been to a movie in years. Bye, we love you, hurry home.

-wife

Anonymous said...

Do you think we'll ever be able to go to a movie together, let alone before medical school starts? We'll see. Love you.