Wednesday, August 22, 2007

An Anniversary in Heidelberg

We didn't have gifts for each other. We didn't even get cards. I wanted to draw something for BreAnne, but I didn't have time (at least not much when I wasn't with her). The challenge became finding out how much we could do with about 20 Euros. First we let Micah play on a playground that's really close to our future apartment. He had fun and was finally brave enough to climb up this ladder thing on his own. Then we set out to find a place to have our big anniversary dinner. After walking around down town for about two hours looking for a chinese restaurant that we saw last week (we never did find it), we settled on a Thai restaurant and ate there. It was good and relatively cheap, especially since we just brought our own bottle of water. We didn't feel like spending 3 Euros per 6 ounce glass of water at the restaurant. Germany needs to work on the drink price situation in restaurants. At least you're not obligated to tip (as much anyway). After that, we got some ice cream and found a bench to sit on and eat. The pedestrian zone is always packed here. A lot of them are tourists here for the summer, but there are a lot of natives in town all the time, too. We headed home after some window shopping (i.e. pricing items we'll need for our new apartment: hand towels, sheets, etc.), where Micah refused to fall asleep (it's so ridiculous living in one room, with no other room to go to while he falls asleep!). I went to Penny Markt, since it's open late, ad bought a 700 g tub of Smurf gummi candy, a bag of chips, and two rolls of Doppel Keks (with milk). That was our real celebration. Had we spent our anniversary like this back in Salt Lake City, I would have been disappointed, but how many Americans can say they spent their anniversary eating ice cream in Heidelberg? On top of that, Matt and Emmy's website said "Happy Anniversary BreAnne and Patrick!" That was an exciting extra. Sorry about there not being any pictures. We'll have more soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a nice day. Doesn't it seem like y'all have been married longer than 3 years? It seems like forever ago.

Anonymous said...

I miss you guys. I with I was in Hide-a-burger with you guys. It's good to hear that someone else gets as much of a kick out of a night at home as we do.
matt

Anonymous said...

Damn! I proof read that post like 5 times and still made a mistake! I with I would've proof read it one more time!