Friday, October 26, 2007

Another Rejection and Answers

I received a notice that Mayo Medical School is choosing not to consider my application any further. I guess that's OK, because (unlike Pritzker) I didn't actually want to go there. It's a pretty good school and all, but who really WANTS to live in Minnesota?
Here are some answers to common questions I've received in regards to studies, etc.: Yes, I'm interviewing at Ohio State during the same trip to the US as the Dallas Interview. That way, we buy one ticket (to and from Dallas) and we have frequent flier miles to pay for a round trip flight between Dallas and Columbus. So, I'm flying out of here Nov. 8th to Dallas, flying to Columbus on the 13th, flying back to Dallas the 14th (after my interview there) and then flying back to Germany Thursday morning (the 15th). It'll be fun.
Yes, classes are hard here. The Physics department here was recently named the best in Germany, and the German department is fairly rigorous as well. The University was recently declared "elite", meaning it's in the German Ivy League. So, I'm getting my arse kicked and I wonder about every 23 minutes or so why it is that I actually like Physics, let alone Physics in German.
Speaking of Physics in German, here's a list of some of my favorite new vocab words:
Wahrscheinlichkeitsdichte
Transmissionskoeffizient
Reaktionswirkungsquerschnitt
Ladungsträgerkonzentration
It's a very descriptive language, so I haven't had any trouble understanding it, but it's weird doing it all in German. That's all for now.

2 comments:

anna and wells said...

what do those words actually mean?

Anonymous said...

They mean:
Probability density
Coefficient of transmission
Effective reaction cross-section
Charge-carrier concentration